Friday, July 18, 2008

Brett Favre vs. Green Bay Packers vs. The Media : Hard to Stomach

As most of you know I am a die hard Brett Favre/Green Bay Packers fan. Sadly, I now have to separate the two. It used to be if you were a Packers fan you were automatically a Favre fan. Because of Ted Thompson, Brett Favre's unretiring, and the media salivating at a Favre comeback, one has to pick a side whether it be Favre or Green Bay. Now, a disclaimer on what I'm about to say: I'm not an NFL insider by any means. I'm just a fan who is seeing all this play out on ESPN who wants to share his opinion. Yes, I know what they say, "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one." Nonetheless, here's my Favre/Packers rant.

On Brett Favre:
Brett, I love ya bro, but you've made a couple of mistakes here. The biggest one being repeating the conversation between you and offensive line coach James Campen in an interview with "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren."

From an NFL.com article: "He says, 'You know, I know they told you they're moving on and playing there's not an option,"' Favre said, according to a full transcript of the interview obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Playing here in Green Bay is not an option, which that's what they want. They want to move on. But I'm telling you, if you reinstate or you force their hand, back them in a corner, they feel like they have no other option, they're going to accept you back."'

Personally, he should've taken the info for what it was worth and not sell out a friend.

On the Green Bay Packers:
As I said before, I'm not an NFL insider. Alot of things happen behind closed doors that the public doesn't know about. Let's say Brett Favre was forced into retirement. In that case, you created this circus, Ted. Favre has been the face of the Packers organization for years. He's a future Hall of Famer. Treat the guy with some respect. I can understand the organization thinking about the future and wanting to see what they have in Aaron Rodgers as he is in the last year of his contract. I can also understand not releasing Favre. Obviously, you're worried about him going to the Vikes. If that wasn't the case you wouldn't have filed tampering charges against them for Bevell talking to him. All I'm saying is if you don't want the guy then trade him. If he has a no trade clause in his contract, rework the deal. Worried about a Favre fan uproar for trading the legend? Don't be. The attendance at Favre rallies were slim. I really think the fans just want this to have a resolution. I know I do.

On the media:
I know it's the offseason, so there's not alot to report. Let the Packers and Favre work this one out. Why all of a sudden are these "unaired portions of interviews" coming out now? All this "Favre criticizes Ted Thompson for not signing Randy Moss, not re-signing Whale and Rivera, and not considering Mariucci for the head coaching job." Eh, it's their job. What can you say?

Final Thoughts:
I can see both sides here. The Packers want to see if Aaron Rodgers is their QB of the future. Favre just wants to play football. Something that I don't think alot of people realize is that Favre sees football for what it is, a game. His attitude towards the game is shown in the way he plays. He just looks like a kid out there playing in his backyard. My thoughts are let the man play. Thompson obviously doesn't want to put up with Favre's "I may retire, I may not retire" annual offseason fiasco. Find some sort of loophole, trade him somewhere in the AFC, and let the man play. It's as simple as that.


.....Barring some catistropic event tonight, I will be reviewing The Dark Knight tomorrow, so stay tuned.

No comments: